Avoid industry HVAC equipment shortages. Get a new AC unit before they are gone!

Keeping Columbus Homeowners Safe from Furnace Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Furnace Carbon Monoxide Poisoning (CO) is the leading cause of poison-related death in the United States and accounts for 20,000 nonfatal injuries each year. Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs when CO, an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas, escapes from fuel burning appliances and becomes trapped in enclosed spaces. Poisonings from CO are often caused by faulty furnaces!

  • Do have your heating system, water heater and any other gas, oil, or coal burning appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.
  • Do install a battery-operated CO detector in your home and check or replace the battery when you change the time on your clocks each Spring and Fall. If the detector sounds leave your home immediately and call 911.
  • Do seek prompt medical attention if you suspect CO poisoning and are feeling dizzy, light-headed, or nauseous.
  • Don’t use a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, or garage or near a window.
  • Don’t run a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.
  • Don’t burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.
  • Don’t heat your house with a gas oven.

If a service technician finds that the heat exchanger in your furnace is cracked and has your furnace “tagged off” DO NOT TURN ON YOUR FURNACE!  It is time to replace your Furnace!  The professional technicians at Custom Air can offer you advice on the best possible solution to keep your family safe!